Skip to main content

Lets Reflect and be Thankful for the ADA

Does anyone know that there will be a disability parade in NYC celebrating the 25th anniversary of the American disability Act in NYC?  Happening on July 12 2015. 
Only July 26.1990, just 4 years before I was born the American Disability Act was passed. On December 23. 1994, I was welcome into this world as a healthy premature  baby after 3 months of intensive medical care in the hospital I receive medical neglect from staff. Shortly of an year old my parents found out I had Cerebral Palsy, placing myself into the disability population and the Ada generation as I am the first generation  to see and experience the greatest of the ADA. 
I am grateful that I grew up in this generation of more people who are now more aware and accepting to people with disabilities, but I would never want to forget those who struggled, faced harsh living conditions and some even died from such lifestyle leading to making a difference for individuals with disabilities. 
We are no longer together in the word disability we each have our own disability often many disabilities are invisible. We are separated as well as being well intergrated in the communities 
The ADA has brought about some positive changes and I want to make sure we all celebrate the cause. 
What people don't realize is that not everyone is born with a disability. Everyone will become a person with a disability once in a lifetime even if it's to use a walker, wheelchair or a cane..etc. We will all benefit from the ADA law in some way. 
Because of the ADA: 
1.I and others are able to go to school and be around regular children. It's important to feel acceptance from your peers as well. Even though I was the invisible one in my high school, never been on trips or apart of groups. 
  1. Going to college and receive proper accommodation 
  1.  Public places are accessible  
  1. Voting stations ( which we need to encourage more  people with disabilities to vote 
  1. We got the ticket to work 
  1. Access to public transportation 
  1. Curb cuts 
  1. The rights to have a voice 
  1. A different view towards people with disabilities..Seeing beyond the disability as I will express it. and more 
Because of the ADA yes we have come very far and I will like to make that official and make it clear that we have fought the fight with still a long way to go.  
Progress was made. Yet as a person with a disability it is not always easy accessing barriers. I face discrimination often..Its hard to believe it but true. We are often judge by our disability instead of our abilities..I find that many of us when accessing services we are stereotype. The word disability is very open and that's what people fail to understand or see. 
What we don't have many people take for granted. 
During the Month of July I am planning on taking a class but more of filling up my calendar to celebrity something that’s close and dear to my heart and that’s the 25th Ada parade.  
It is an honor to be apart of this journey and celebration with my friends, family, my community, agencies and last but not least my members of the Mayor's office for people with disabilities  Youth council and Commissioner Calise who is working hard to put together such an important event. 
If you are having an ADA event please feel free to comment on this page and let me know so we can add it to the ADA calendar with MOPD( Mayor's office for people with disabilities) 
Thank you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Graduated College. What's the journey was like?

On June 16. 2020 I officially graduated from Kingsborough Community College with my associates degree in liberal arts degree. This June 2020 This day turned less expected then I imagine due to situations happening in the world but it didn't change anything about me getting my degree on that day my degree was conferred. I knew I was free and empowered to tell my  college journey story! Now it's my time to shine! Many may have viewed my time in college as totally a success story but trust me I faced lots of struggles that I truly never shared in my college struggles because it felt odd for many reasons "What IF I fail??? but what if I fly???  Growing up for the past 18 years and have been apart of the special education system. I remember my mom sharing with me in the beginning of me going into the public school system a school physiologist came to evaluate me and because I didn't respond to her she assumed I didn't know my colors and made a decision th

Quarantine is a new normal for many but is not strange to those with disabilities

Life in quarantine as person with a disability is nothing new it's often our reality in some cases. Before this current situation I feel like I once lived in aspect of quarantine in high school for 4 years. It never really hit me to make such connection to the new reality until today.  In 2009 the beginning of my high school journey On the first day of school when the school bus came to pick me up the diver inform my mom  that the school i was in route to go to was not wheelchair accessible.. I never really talk out this experiences in my speeches but a few weeks ago I was ask to share my journey with college students majoring in education ask me if I had the opportunity of going to same schools as  my peers and neighbors if wanted too and that was when the light went of in my head to share this experience. very few of my neighborhood schools are wheelchair accessible so again my parents and I didn't have many choices on placement of school. Once I got the okay to atten

Trail Blazzing

To the girl who was told she could not be a lot things.. told college was not possible told job supports was not possible because i need to be able to transfer out my wheelchair.. never hard back from a job interview i went to to support individuals with disabilities on their college campus classes.. to the educators and school team who simply saw me through my wheels as if i could not get very far is graduating college with my associates degree in a few weeks. .seeing studen ts with disabilities face obstacles with remote learning and is falling behind even the last to start this process.. i am ready to rewrite how a school looks like for students with uniqueness as i call it.. i am going higher not only about starting a non profit but to create school for child with disabilities.. i don't have it but i am going all the way up to my masters degree slowly but for sure! they need my voice better yet the passion and vision that i have♥ ❤ .. especially in those le