Skip to main content

there was no more turning back

When I said there was no more turning back believe me↑

At a young age.. the start of my high school journey..Hearing my mom encourage me to speak up because if not people will not see me.. 14 years old.. a month into my first year of high school journey i heard the word Ketrina is scheduled for major scoliosis surgery.
Both had my heart pretty blank for many reasons.

This all happened in 2009. By 2011 I was ready to find a way to share my story and connect with OTHERS. I started a my own an website www.trinafightforrights.com   where I truly discovered my voice was strong in many ways even through my written stories.

At the age of 14.. when i enrolled in a school that as a student with a disability with mobility needs i felt invisible..

those who were in special education self contained classes like myself only had classes on the first floor of the school building.

Plus one of my classrooms was the size of a closet with no windows  

 all of these unfair treatment really open up my eyes and heart to start speaking out. It began with me writing letters to the write authority 

 In 2013. My senior year of high school...one of my case mangers asked about my plans after graduating mention after high  school. She mention I can learn computer skills or do recreation activities an that's usually Monday- Friday from 9am-3p.m   which means she was considering a day program...
  Why is that the 1st pathway/ direction they have for people with disabilities after they age out of of the school system between age 18 and 21.?? 
Once I graduated high school and receive my diploma l stated on this journey their is no more turning back..


 
With many days and nights of e-mails and phone calls.. My parents support and telling me don't worry things are going to work out.. 

This little girl that many just needed to take the time to get to know me just a little more. 
In the fall of 2013 I enrolled to Kingsbrough Community College and maintain 3.0 GPA and was inducted into 3 to 4 honor societies since than.

I never expected to strive the way I have. Once I connected with myself and my abilities.. My self confidence began soaring within my intelligent and beyond..

I felt more valued and empowered within my voice to share my experience with the school system and become an advocate for people with disabilities 

In January of 2014  my mission to be a leader and true advocate for people with disabilities showed up

 **I got accepted to a course called Partners in Policymaking where I became a well trained an educated advocate for people with developmental disabilities and their families  and in 2014 I became a 2014 partners grad
 I began to get publicity by sharing my experience within the special education system
Then I was also nominate to serve on the youth advisory board for special education in Albany for 2 years  
In 2016 I started Voice's of Power

2017- I traveled to the Caribbean on   1st international trip on a mission
in the fall of 2017 i was crowned Ms Wheelchair NY 2018

In the fall of 2018 i won the tittle Ms Wheelchair NY 2018 My Platform to bring self advocacy into schools

in june of 2018 i was appointed to serve on the developmental disabilities planning council 
In the fall of 2018 I experienced a break down that I decided to take a break from college and within that time I was granted opportunities as I was continuing my reign as Ms Wheelchair NY 2018 

A year later the Fall 2019 I got  up and said I am going to face this college life again 

Things that happen is out of my control I can't change somethings in my life and that can be overwhelming  at times 

I enrolled college close to home to avoid battles and stress of the Para transit system access A Ride and my aid service 
 I looked for jobs to replace college but when that door didn't happen I knew I needed to do something to keep me productive
After figuring things out and finding balance i was told i have 57 college credits and all I need to full fill is my math requirement once I switch to get a general liberal arts degree 

Today I am getting started on math course once I pass with a C or better I am set to be eligible for my associates degree

Once heard college was not possible 
 But here I am.. forward is forward.. life is amazing.. there is no more turning back

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Graduated College. What's the journey was like?

On June 16. 2020 I officially graduated from Kingsborough Community College with my associates degree in liberal arts degree. This June 2020 This day turned less expected then I imagine due to situations happening in the world but it didn't change anything about me getting my degree on that day my degree was conferred. I knew I was free and empowered to tell my  college journey story! Now it's my time to shine! Many may have viewed my time in college as totally a success story but trust me I faced lots of struggles that I truly never shared in my college struggles because it felt odd for many reasons "What IF I fail??? but what if I fly???  Growing up for the past 18 years and have been apart of the special education system. I remember my mom sharing with me in the beginning of me going into the public school system a school physiologist came to evaluate me and because I didn't respond to her she assumed I didn't know my colors and made a decision th

Quarantine is a new normal for many but is not strange to those with disabilities

Life in quarantine as person with a disability is nothing new it's often our reality in some cases. Before this current situation I feel like I once lived in aspect of quarantine in high school for 4 years. It never really hit me to make such connection to the new reality until today.  In 2009 the beginning of my high school journey On the first day of school when the school bus came to pick me up the diver inform my mom  that the school i was in route to go to was not wheelchair accessible.. I never really talk out this experiences in my speeches but a few weeks ago I was ask to share my journey with college students majoring in education ask me if I had the opportunity of going to same schools as  my peers and neighbors if wanted too and that was when the light went of in my head to share this experience. very few of my neighborhood schools are wheelchair accessible so again my parents and I didn't have many choices on placement of school. Once I got the okay to atten

Trail Blazzing

To the girl who was told she could not be a lot things.. told college was not possible told job supports was not possible because i need to be able to transfer out my wheelchair.. never hard back from a job interview i went to to support individuals with disabilities on their college campus classes.. to the educators and school team who simply saw me through my wheels as if i could not get very far is graduating college with my associates degree in a few weeks. .seeing studen ts with disabilities face obstacles with remote learning and is falling behind even the last to start this process.. i am ready to rewrite how a school looks like for students with uniqueness as i call it.. i am going higher not only about starting a non profit but to create school for child with disabilities.. i don't have it but i am going all the way up to my masters degree slowly but for sure! they need my voice better yet the passion and vision that i have♥ ❤ .. especially in those le